Hubs and I love Mexican food. We eat it at least once a week, and I often have some version of a taco salad for lunch during the week.
When we got married, my mother-in-law gave me a cookbook in which she had handwritten a number of family recipes that she wanted to pass on. This was definitely one of my favorite wedding gifts! Who doesn’t love getting new recipes that you know your husband enjoys? I first tried this recipe out about a month after we got married, and it was soooo delicious! We quickly decided it would become a regular on our menu plan!
The original recipe called for store-bought breadcrumbs, but I wanted to avoid those mystery ingredients and tried it with a mixture of almond flour and cornmeal instead. The results were excellent and I am excited to share one of our favorite meals with you!
For the chicken you will need:
- Pastured boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Almond flour
- Organic cornmeal
- Sea salt
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Pastured eggs
To get started, turn your oven to 375 degrees. Place 1/4 cup (half a stick) of butter into a 13×9 pan and place in oven while oven preheats. Mix up your dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
Then mix the eggs and salsa together.
Pull the pan out of oven (the butter should be melted and quite hot by now). Dip the chicken in the egg mixture, then coat it with the dry mixture. Place the chicken breasts in the melted butter, and then flip to fully coat the chicken breast in melted butter.
Do this with all four chicken breasts. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes. When chicken is cooked through, place on a bed of lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, green onions, avocado, shredded cheese, and top with sour cream and/or salsa. Enjoy!
What are your favorite taco toppings?
- 1/4 c. Butter (1/2 stick)
- 4 Pastured boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1c. Almond flour
- 1c. Organic cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. Sea salt
- 2 tsp. Chili powder
- 2 tsp. Cumin
- 1/2 tsp.Oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 2 Pastured eggs
- 1/3 c. Salsa
- Sour Cream
- Black Olives
- Green Onions
- Lime (wedged)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place butter in 9x13 pan; place in oven. Remove pan when butter is completely melted.
- Mix together almond flour, cornmeal, 1/4 tsp. salt, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic powder.
- In another bowl, beat together eggs, salsa, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Coat each chicken breast in egg mixture, then dip in crumb mixture.
- Place chicken in pan, turn once to coat with butter.
- Bake, uncovered for approximately 35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- To Serve:
- Place chicken on top of a bed of lettuce, tomatoes, olives, onions, and avocado. Top with sour cream and a squeeze of lime juice. Enjoy!
**This post is entered into Simple Lives Thursday.**